SQL for Beginners Workshop
in New York / Berlin / London
From zero to hero with SQL in 1 day!
Isn't it annoying...
This 1-day SQL Workshop is the solution for all those problems!
- 1Introduction. Why is coding important? How does it work?
- 2Introducing the data coding environment of SQL (+ other langauges).
- 3SQL in Practice #1: Learning the basic SQL queries and clauses. (SELECT, FROM, LIMIT)
- 4SQL in Practice #2: How to filter in SQL (WHERE, AND, OR, <, >, etc…)
- 5SQL in Practice #3: SQL functions, aggregations, averages (SUM, MIN, MAX, AVG, etc…)
- 6SQL in Practice #4: Segmentation using SQL
- 7SQL in Practice #5: JOIN-ing tables
- 8WORKSHOP: practicing on a true-to-life startup’s true-to-life dataset.
The golden rule of an exciting SQL workshop:
10% theory, 90% practice
I've held the SQL for Data Analysis Workshop for over 300 participants in the last 3 years. And I have one golden rule: keep it practical!
This is a workshop that contains only the necessary amount of theory; all the rest is practice. Bring your computer and prepare to get your hands dirty with actual data coding from the first moment on. We will tackle every topic together, and you’ll also get small, exciting assignments – with real data sets – to continuously test your freshly gained coding skills. The best way to learn is by practicing, right?
Who is this for?
The SQL for Data Analysis Workshop is designed for:
If you’ve never touched a coding task, don’t worry: we will start from scratch.
Over 300 participants so far from companies like:
Invest in yourself and futureproof your skills!
Everyone says that machines will take our jobs. I see it differently. If you can "tell" a machine what to do, it won't take your job, it’ll help you do it. Learning SQL is the first important step towards working smarter and not harder.
It's not an accident that online professionals who know SQL - compared to those who don't - take home more salary and have a higher chance of getting hired into a better paying position. SQL is an important skill and good companies know it!
If you think that you can't learn it because your brain is "not wired that way," I have good news for you:
I know by experience that everyone can learn SQL.
Well, at least, if you understand Excel, I guarantee that you will understand SQL, too.
Here's the same SUM() function in Excel and in SQL:
I like to describe SQL as "Excel on steroids." Why? Because it's the same spreadsheet logic - but with four differences:
- 1Performance. In SQL even 10.000.000+ rows can be processed fairly quickly. Excel usually starts to freeze after 100.000 rows.
- 2Joining data sets. SQL is really good at merging big data sets. Excel... well, it's not designed for that.
- 3Your company's data is in SQL, not in Excel. The native format of your company’s user data is SQL. When you use an Excel spreadsheet, that's most likely an exported version of the data from an SQL table.
- 4How you access your data. Excel is primarily a point-and-click interface. In SQL, you don’t have that; you have to type so-called "SQL queries" instead. That's what makes it difficult - but also very powerful and flexible.
At the end of this SQL workshop you will:
And if that's not enough, you will get 2 BONUSES that you won't get anywhere else!
Max 8 attendees
This is a small group workshop – to ensure every attendee gets enough attention.
Tomi Mester is a data analyst and researcher. He worked for Prezi, iZettle and several smaller companies as an analyst/consultant. He’s the author of the Data36 blog where he writes posts and tutorials on a weekly basis about data science, AB-testing, online research and data coding. He’s an O’Reilly author and presenter at TEDxYouth, Barcelona E-commerce Summit and Data Conf. More info about Tomi: here (linkedin). Or check out the intro video. >>
Get in touch!
This workshop is available for companies (in Europe and in the USA) as an internal workshop. If you are interested, please send me an email at email@example.com!
For individuals, I recommend the online version of the course: SQL for Aspiring Data Scientists
Frequently Asked Questions
Is it a problem if I don't know anything about programming?
No. We will start from scratch. Actually, most participants are in the same situation as you.
Should I bring my computer?
Yes. This is an interactive workshop, so you will write SQL queries on your computer.
I don't have any SQL manager on my computer...
Don't worry, before the workshop, I'll send you a 5-minute video that shows you how to install SQL Workbench (the best free SQL manager). Once you have that, you are all set!
Will I get an invoice?
Yes. In accordance with EU law, everyone gets an invoice of the payment.
I want to have this at my company instead!
Happy to hear that! Send me an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and we can sort it out!
This date doesn't work for me. Will there be another one?
I hope so, but I can't guarantee that. I hold this workshop in several different European cities. This means that I can visit most places only once or twice a year.